Sledmere House is owned and run as a family residence and nestles in the heart of a thriving rural working estate.
The Sykes family have been welcoming visitors to Sledmere House for over 200 years; their enthusiasm for sharing the house with visitors is embodied by their friendly and helpful staff. The House and its gardens are filled with charm and treasures.
Located 7 miles North West of Driffield, East Yorkshire, Sledmere House has plenty to offer holidaying visitors as well as being an ideal conference and special occasions venue. The grounds benefit from having a number of attractions including the Terrace Café teashop, park walks, shop, childrens playground, a picnic area, chapel and a walled garden.
Designed by Samuel Wyatt and Sir Christopher Sykes, 2nd baronet and nurtured by successive generations, this very special place brings new devotees every year.
Sledmere is a Georgian House – and it is also an Edwardian House. Sir Christopher Sykes, 2nd baronet, rebuilt and redecorated the house in the 1790s, but in 1911 it was almost completely destroyed by fire. Fortunately most of the contents were rescued and they can still be seen on view today. It is worth a visit just to see the splendour of Joseph Rose’s plasterwork and the fine examples of furniture by Chippendale, Hepplewhite and Sheraton.