The ruins of the castle are situated at the Eastern extremity of the town, on a lofty promontory, elevated more than 300 feet on the southern, and 330 feet on the northern side, above the level of the sea, and presenting to the north, the east, and the south, a vast range of perpendicular rocks, completely inaccessible.
Its western aspect is also bold and majestic, being a high, steep, rocky, slope, commanding the town, harbour and the bay. The whole area, at the top of the hill, is upwards of nineteen acres of excellent soil, gently sloping near 20 feet from the north to the south lines.
History of Scarborough Castle
Scarborough Castle was built in the reign of King Stephen, by William le Gros; Earl of Albemarle and Holderness. During the civil wars this castle was twice besieged, and taken by the parliamentary army.
The first siege lasted for twelve months, and Sir John Meldrum, by whom the forces of parliament were commanded, fell before the works. The command of the besieging army then devolved upon Sir Matthew Boynton, to whom Sir Hugh Cholmley, the governor, was obliged to surrender on the 22d of July 1645.
Colonel Boynton, the successor of the Baronet, having declared for the King, the castle once more came into the hands of the royalists, but the garrison growing mutinous, the Colonel was obliged to capitulate, and on the 19th of December 1648, the fortress was again surrendered to parliament.